.
INDUSTRIAL & OFFLINE
TERMINAL RAILROADS &
RAIL-MARINE OPERATIONS OF BROOKLYN, QUEENS, STATEN
ISLAND, BRONX &
MANHATTAN:
|
LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD, 65TH STREET - BAY RIDGE YARD & TERMINAL Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, NY |
|
|
![]() |
|
|
|
|
|||||
..

.
|
updated: |
||
|
|
||
|
update summary: |
date: | chapter: |
| Brooklyn "Red Survey" maps added 1950 property photo added |
29 July 2024 | History |
page created.30 April 2024
.
![]() |
![]() |
|
| 1878 added 02 May 2024 |
ca. 1884 A. Huneke archives added 02 May 2024 |
|
![]() |
||
| Bay Ridge Improvement, proposed - 1910 added 02 May 2024 |
||




"There is nothing in alternative routes, unless at some time in the future the New York Connecting Railroad becomes congested. I reached that conclusion five years ago, and I have no reason to change my mind. For economy of construction and operation and over the shortest route for both freight and passenger traffic; the New York Connecting Railroad is the best for our system."
|
GENERAL PLAN FOR
TRAFFIC FACILITIES AT NEW YORK
The component elements of the general plan outlined by the late A. J. Cassatt, President, in his open letter to the Board of Rapid Transit Railroad Commissioners of the City of New York, dated January 18th, 1906, are indicated on Fig. 1, and may be briefly summarized as follows: 1. The Pennsylvania Tunnel and Terminal Railroad, generally referred to as the New York Tunnel Extension of the Pennsylvania Railroad. This line begins near Newark, N. J., crosses the Hackensack Meadows, and passes The parts sustained by these elements in the work of transportation and distribution are briefly as follows: The New York Tunnel Extension is essentially a passenger line, although the Company has not only the legal powers but also the facilities for making it a through route for freight if desired. It will transport passengers to and from the centrally located station at 33d Street and Seventh Avenue in New York City, joining the Long Island System at Sunnyside Yard, and, by means of the New York Connecting Railroad, it will form a link in the through traffic line, connecting the whole Pennsylvania System with the New England States. This line has been designed for the safe and expeditious handling of a large volume of traffic. The requirements include handling the heaviest through express trains south and west from the main line as well as the frequent and lighter local-service trains. For through service the locomotive principle of operation has been adhered to, that is, electric locomotives will take up the work of the steam locomotives at the interchange yard at Harrison, N. J., and, for excursion and suburban service to nearby towns, provision will be made for electric locomotives, or by operation of special self-propelled motor cars in trains, the project being planned to give the greatest flexibility in method of operation to meet the growing demand in the best way. The New York Connecting Railroad has important functions both for freight and passenger service. When constructed it will be about 12 miles long, and will form a part of the line to the New England States for through passenger and freight service, and also carry local freight to and from Sunnyside Yard and Brooklyn, and all points on Long Island. By means of this line it will be possible to make the Brooklyn station at Flatbush Avenue a station on the through System for New England as well as the Western States. The initial equipment of the Western Division of the Long Island Railroad for electric traction has been made in advance of the opening of the tunnel line in order to take care of the requirements of the Atlantic Avenue improvement. This improvement involved the elimination. of grade crossings within the City of Brooklyn and the conversion of the railroad line which was previously on the surface of the streets to part subway and part elevated line from the Flatbush Avenue Terminal to East New York Station, a distance of 5 miles. One of the requirements of this improvement was that the motive power should be changed to some form of power not involving combustion. This led to the adoption of electricity, and, in order to meet operating necessities, involved the electrification of connecting lines beyond the improvement proper, so that local service could be handled to the end of the runs without changing the motive power. The extent of the electrification thus required was found to be about 100 single-track miles. This extensive electrification work was undertaken and completed in the summer of 1905, upon the completion of the Atlantic Avenue improvement proper, and since that time has been in successful operation. On the near approach of the construction of the New York Terminal improvement, plans for additional electrification on the Long Island Railroad were made, and the work is now in progress on the extensive additions required to couple up the tunnel extension with the various lines centering at the Long Island City terminus. The Bay Ridge Improvement of the Long Island Railroad comprises the readjustment of the right of way and the establishment of new grades in order to do away with grade crossings from the freight terminal at Bay Ridge to a junction with the New York Connecting Railroad at East New York, a distance of 10.4 miles. It also provides for the re-location of the line and the elimination of grade crossings on the branch running to Manhattan Beach, a distance of 3.7 miles. The work is being executed without interrupting traffic, and in all about 75 grade crossings will be abolished. This improvement became necessary in order to provide for the rapid extension of population into the suburban districts and for the present and future requirements of the section, to establish municipal conveniences and facilities, and to open additional streets across the right of way. To accomplish these ends, the line has been built in cuts and on embankments, there being about 6.4 miles of the former, 3.3 miles of the latter, and a tunnel, 3 500 ft. long, where the line crosses the Atlantic Avenue improvement. The Atlantic Avenue improvement, as mentioned above, involved the removal of the railroad tracks from the street surface for a distance of about 5 miles. This was done by constructing a series of elevated and subway structures, there being about 2.1 miles of the former, 2.4 miles of the latter, and 0.8 mile of approaches, eliminating more than 90 grade crossings. In the light of recent developments, it may be of interest to note that one of the reasons for establishing a combination elevated and subway line was that, at the time the improvement was projected, no underground railroad in the country, of similar length and carrying a heavy volume of local traffic, was operated by electricity, and public sentiment was against the operation of the entire length of the line underground by steam power. This improvement also provided for depressing the entire Flatbush Avenue station and a freight yard. As the work progressed, the original plans for the station were greatly enlarged, the remodeled station covering about 61 city lots. The main point of passenger distribution is the New York station. Other important stations will be Flatbush Avenue, Brooklyn; Jamaica, Long Island, where the changes to and from electric motive power will be made; and Newark, N. J. Many other places, including the seaside resorts on Long Island and in New Jersey, will feel the benefits of the direct tunnel railroad into and through New York City. The Glendale Cut-Off will materially shorten the route and running time from New York through the tunnels to Rockaway Beach. The plans contemplate that passengers to and from the lower part of Manhattan will be carried by the steam line between Newark and Jersey City and cross the North River by ferry or the Cortlandt Street tunnels of the Hudson Company. Eventually, the old main line will be electrified and supersede the steam service between Newark and Jersey City. The Greenville Yard is the most important point for the receipt, transmission, and distribution of freight. From this point freight can be transported, without breaking bulk, by a comparatively short carferry to the Long Island Railroad terminus at Bay Ridge, and thus a very large part of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company's floatage in New York Harbor and the East River will be abolished, the floatage distance being reduced in the case of the New England freight from about 12 to 3 miles. This traffic will be routed from Bay Ridge via the Long Island Railroad to a connection with and thence over the New York Connecting Railroad to the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad at Port Morris, NY. As the facilities for the handling of freight in the Boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens had become insufficient for taking care of the prospective traffic, eleven new local delivery yards, having a combined area of about 2,153 city lots, have been established, and three existing yards are to be improved and enlarged so as to give a combined area of about 687 city lots. Of these new yards, the Bay Ridge freight terminal, containing about 790 city lots, is the largest; its functions. have been described above. There is a freight terminal at East New York 200 ft. wide and a mile long, containing about 566 city lots, which will be the distributing point of freight for the entire East New York section. This yard is depressed, and will be crossed by six viaducts carrying city streets. The North Shore freight yard, containing 109 city lots, is connected with the Montauk Division by an overhead construction, known as the Montauk Freight Cut-Off, whereby all freight traffic to Jamaica may be kept out of the way of the Jamaica passenger traffic from the tunnels. It may be of interest to indicate briefly how much has already been accomplished in the execution of this general plan, and what still remains to be done for its completion. The larger part of the electrification of the Long Island Railroad and the elimination of grade crossings within the built-up city limits, the Atlantic Avenue improvement, and the yard and piers at Greenville, have been completed. The Sunnyside Yard and the Glendale Cut-Off will be completed during the next twelve months. On the Tunnel and Terminal Railroad the embankment and bridge work across the Hackensack Meadows and all the tunnels and excavation from the west side of Bergen Hill to Long Island City, except a short section near the eastern end of the line, have been completed. The New York station and other buildings and facilities connected therewith are well advanced. The laying of the track, the electrification of the line, and the installation of the signaling and lighting systems are under way. It is anticipated that the line will be ready for operation in the spring of 1910. Report has been made to the Public Service Commission that a large part of the right of way for the New York Connecting Railroad has been obtained, and more than $3 000 000 has been spent by this railroad. The piers and docks at Newtown Creek and the electrification of the line from Newark to Jersey City are not yet actively under way. ESTIMATED COST OF THE IMPROVEMENTS
As appears from the foregoing statement, only parts of the improvements contemplated in the general scheme have been completed, others are in progress, and others have not yet been commenced. It is therefore impossible at the present time to make a close estimate of the total expenditure involved in the execution of the entire scheme. The following estimate of the cost of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company's improvements in the New York District when fully completed is based on the best information now available: the line underground by steam power. This improvement also provided for depressing the entire Flatbush Avenue station and a freight yard. As the work progressed, the original plans for the station were greatly enlarged, the remodeled station covering about 61 city lots. The main point of passenger distribution is the New York station. Other important stations will be Flatbush Avenue, Brooklyn; Jamaica, Long Island, where the changes to and from electric motive power will be made; and Newark, N. J. Many other places, including the seaside resorts on Long Island and in New Jersey, will feel the benefits of the direct tunnel railroad into and through New York City. The Glendale Cut-Off will materially shorten the route and running time from New York through the tunnels to Rockaway Beach. The plans contemplate that passengers to and from the lower part of Manhattan will be carried by the steam line between Newark and Jersey City and cross the North River by ferry or the Cortlandt Street tunnels of the Hudson Company. Eventually, the old main line will be electrified and supersede the steam service between Newark and Jersey City. The Greenville Yard is the most important point for the receipt, transmission, and distribution of freight. From this point freight can be transported, without breaking bulk, by a comparatively short carferry to the Long Island Railroad terminus at Bay Ridge, and thus a very large part of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company's floatage in New York Harbor and the East River will be abolished, the floatage distance being reduced in the case of the New England freight from about 12 to 3 miles. This traffic will be routed from Bay Ridge via the Long Island Railroad to a connection with and thence over the New York Connecting Railroad to the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad at Port Morris, N. Y. As the facilities for the handling of freight in the Boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens had become insufficient for taking care of the prospective traffic, eleven new local delivery yards, having a combined area of about 2 153 city lots, have been established, and three existing yards are to be improved and enlarged so as to give a combined area of about 687 city lots. Of these new yards, the Bay Ridge freight terminal, containing about 790 city lots, is the largest; its functions. have been described above. There is a freight terminal at East New York 200 ft. wide and a mile long, containing about 566 city lots, which will be the distributing point of freight for the entire East New York section. This yard is depressed, and will be crossed by six viaducts carrying city streets. The North Shore freight yard, containing 109 city lots, is connected with the Montauk Division by an overhead construction, known as the Montauk Freight Cut-Off, whereby all freight traffic to Jamaica may be kept out of the way of the Jamaica passenger traffic from the tunnels. It may be of interest to indicate briefly how much has already been accomplished in the execution of this general plan, and what still remains to be done for its completion. The larger part of the electrification of the Long Island Railroad and the elimination of grade crossings within the built-up city limits, the Atlantic Avenue improvement, and the yard and piers at Greenville, have been completed. The Sunnyside Yard and the Glendale Cut-Off will be completed during the next twelve months. On the Tunnel and Terminal Railroad the embankment and bridge work across the Hackensack Meadows and all the tunnels and excavation from the west side of Bergen Hill to Long Island City, except a short section near the eastern end of the line, have been completed. The New York station and other buildings and facilities connected therewith are well advanced. The laying of the track, the electrification of the line, and the installation of the signaling and lighting systems are under way. It is anticipated that the line will be ready for operation in the spring of 1910. Report has been made to the Public Service Commission that a large part of the right of way for the New York Connecting Railroad has been obtained, and more than $3 000 000 has been spent by this railroad. The piers and docks at Newtown Creek and the electrification of the line from Newark to Jersey City are not yet actively under way. ESTIMATED COST OF THE IMPROVEMENTS. As appears from the foregoing statement, only parts of the improvements contemplated in the general scheme have been completed, others are in progress, and others have not yet been commenced. It is therefore impossible at the present time to make a close estimate of the total expenditure involved in the execution of the entire scheme. The following estimate of the cost of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company's improvements in the New York District when fully completed is based on the best information now available:
CORPORATE ORGANIZATION AND FRANCHISE CONDITIONS
As the tunnel extension lies partly in the State of New Jersey and partly in the State of New York, it was necessary to charter two companies, each covering the territory within the State to which it belonged. The New Jersey corporation was entitled the Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York Railroad Company, and the New York corporation, the Pennsylvania, New York and Long Island Railroad Company. These organizations were completed early in 1902. Subsequently, after the tunnels had been joined under the North River, the companies were consolidated, on June 26th, 1907, and thereby formed the present company under the name of the Pennsylvania Tunnel and Terminal Railroad Company, a corporation of both States. Mr. Cassatt, President of the Pennsylvania, New York and Long Island Railroad Company, made application in its behalf for a franchise to extend the lines of the Pennsylvania Railroad by tunnels. under the North River to a passenger station to be erected in New York City and thence under the East River to a connection with the Long Island Railroad, on May 5th, 1902. The franchise for that part of the tunnel line which is within the State of New York, that is, from the boundary line between New York and New Jersey, in the Hudson River, to the eastern terminus at Sunnyside Yard, Long Island, is contained in the certificate issued by the Board of Rapid Transit Railroad Commissioners of the City of New York on October 9th, 1902. The essential features of the franchise have been summarized substantially as follows in the report of the Committee of the Board of Rapid Transit Railroad Commissioners of the City of New York, dated June 14th, 1902: First. A grant by the city in perpetuity of rights, subject, however, to a periodic re-adjustment of payments at intervals of twenty-five years, as follows: (a) To construct and operate a railroad of two tracks from the boundary between New York and New Jersey under the Hudson River opposite the westerly foot of Thirty-first Street, Borough of Manhattan, thence running under the Hudson River and Thirty-first Street to the East River and under the East River to a terminus in Queens Borough. The Company is permitted on notice within ten years to give up the right to these two tracks. (b) A like right for a railroad of two tracks beginning near the same point under the Hudson River, thence running under Thirty-second Street to the East River, and under that river to the terminus in Queens Borough, with a right for two additional tracks in Thirty-second Street, west of Ninth Avenue, and one additional track between Seventh and Fifth Avenues in Manhattan. (c) A like right for a railroad of two tracks beginning at the station terminal site at Thirty-third Street and Seventh Avenue and thence running under Thirty-third Street and the East River to the terminal in Queens Borough, with a right for one additional track on Thirty-third Street, between Seventh and Fifth Avenues. (d) A right to maintain a terminal station occupying the four blocks bounded by Thirty-first Street, Seventh Avenue, Thirty-third Street and Ninth Avenue, the lots on the east side of Seventh Avenue between Thirty-first and Thirty-third Streets, and the underground portions of Thirty-first and Thirty-third Streets, between Seventh and Eighth Avenues and between Eighth and Ninth Avenues, the Company having itself acquired the land included in such four blocks and lots on the east side of Seventh Avenue. (e) To occupy for such terminal facilities all of Thirty-second Street lying between the westerly side of Seventh Avenue and the easterly side of Eighth Avenue, and between the westerly side of Eighth Avenue and the easterly side of Ninth Avenue. As soon as the statutory right of the city authorities to make the conveyance shall be put beyond doubt the Railroad Company is obliged to buy such two portions of Thirty-second Street, which will then become completely dedicated to the purposes of their station. (These portions of Thirty-second Street were subsequently purchased by the Railroad Company.) (f) To have along such routes the necessary facilities for the operation of passenger and freight trains, including telegraph wires and the various wires and cables for the distribution of power, heat, and light. Second. The requirement of the consent of the Mayor, the Board of Aldermen, the Board of Estimate and Apportionment, and the other authorities of the city having control of the streets. Third. The obligation of the Pennsylvania Company to begin construction within three months after obtaining the necessary consents and complete the railroad within five years after construction shall begin, except the route under Thirty-first Street, for the completion of which the company is allowed ten years after the completion of the remainder of the railroad. Fourth. Payments by the Pennsylvania Company for the first twenty-five years, as follows: A rental of $200 per annum for the right to occupy land under the Hudson and East Rivers outside of pier lines. A rental for ground within pier lines and for underground portions of streets in Manhattan Borough, at fifty cents per linear foot of single track per annum, for the first ten years, and during the next fifteen years one dollar per annum per linear foot. A rental for ground within pier lines and for underground portions of streets in Queens Borough at one-half the rates payable for Manhattan Borough. A rental for underground portions of Thirty-first and Thirty-third Streets, between Seventh and Eighth Avenues, and between Eighth and Ninth Avenues (such portions extending almost up to the surface, except under the south sidewalk of Thirty-first Street and north sidewalk of Thirty-third Street) at $14 000 per annum for the first ten years, and at $28 000 per annum for the next fifteen years. For the portions of Thirty-second Street, between Seventh and Eighth Avenues, and between Eighth and Ninth Avenues, when the statutory power of the city to make a sale shall be put beyond doubt, the city is to sell and the Railroad Company is required to buy such portions for the sum of $788 690. The rentals for river and track rights begin at the date of operation. For the underground spaces under Thirty-first and Thirty-third Streets, used for station extension, the rentals begin at the commencement of construction, or when the company entered thereon. |




![]() LIRR / NYNH&H RR - 65th Street / Bay Ridge Yard & Transfer Bridges - 1960 A nice mix of locomotive power: ALCo RS11 and ALCo FA A-B-A set U.S. President's Railroad Commission Photographs Franklin, H. H. photo Cornell University Library Digital Collections added 11 May 2024 |
| . . |
![]() LIRR / NYNH&H RR - 65th Street / Bay Ridge Yard & Transfer Bridges "- 1960
from left to right: "Abie", "Benny", Charlie" and Davey" LIRR #447 working "Benny" U.S. President's Railroad Commission Photographs Franklin, H. H. photo Cornell University Library Digital Collections added 11 May 2024 |
| . . |
![]() LIRR / NYNH&H RR - 65th Street / Bay Ridge Yard & Transfer Bridges - 1960 LIRR RR #447 [ALCo S2] working "Benny" U.S. President's Railroad Commission Photographs Franklin, H. H. photo Cornell University Library Digital Collections added 11 May 2024 |
| . . |
![]() LIRR / NYNH&H RR - 65th Street / Bay Ridge Yard & Transfer Bridges - 1960 LIRR #447 [ALCo S2] U.S. President's Railroad Commission Photographs Franklin, H. H. photo Cornell University Library Digital Collections added 11 May 2024 |
| . . |
![]() LIRR / NYNH&H RR - 65th Street / Bay Ridge Yard & Transfer Bridges - 1960 NYNH&H RR Tug "Transfer #21" U.S. President's Railroad Commission Photographs Franklin, H. H. photo Cornell University Library Digital Collections added 11 May 2024 |
|
"Davy" (northernmost) |
overhead suspension / contained apron (French patent) |
1916 - 1972 | out of service 1970 |
demolished 1972 |
|
"Charlie" |
overhead suspension / contained apron (French patent) |
1916 - 1972 | out of service 1970 | demolished 1972 |
|
"Benny" |
overhead suspension / contained apron (French patent) |
1916 - 1972 | out of service 1970 | demolished 1972 |
|
"Abie" (southernmost) |
overhead suspension / contained apron (French patent) |
1916 - 1972 | out of service 1970 |
demolished 1972 |



Brooklyn Army Terminal Float Bridge (& 65th Street
Yard & proposed Float Bridges)
P. M. Goldstein collection
added 02 May 2024
.
.
.
With the opening of the Verrazzano Narrow Bridge between Staten Island and Brooklyn in 1964, and with the Staten Island Expressway connecting the Verrazzano with New Jersey via the Goethals Bridge; this kicked the door wide open in regards to motor freight (tractor trailers) now being able to directly enter Brooklyn; and with it, Queens and Long Island from the freight yards in New Jersey. Using the railroads to carfloat freight into Brooklyn was no longer the sole route of transportation, and likewise carfloat traffic diminished.
Also
at this point in time, containerized freight or "CONEX" (CONtainerized EXpress)
came on scene. First developed in World War II; and after proving
successful in Korea, the system was developed into the Container
Express (CONEX) box system in late 1952. The size and capacity of the
CONEX were about the same as the WWII Transportation System, but now the
system was made modular, by the addition of a smaller, half-size units
of 6 ft 3 in long, 4 ft 3 in wide and 6 ft 10 1⁄2 in high.
CONEX'es could be stacked three high, and protected their contents from
the elements.
With these facilities, a container could be offloaded from and trans-oceanic ship to truck in minutes, eliminating the local railroad portion of transportation to its final destination. And this container could be delivered right to the loading of a commercial or industrial entity.
As a result, the Bay Ridge Yard was taken out of service 1971, and in 1972 the transfer bridges and gantries were demolished. The yard remained out of service for some time, with Penn Central only playing host to interchange with the Bush Terminal Railroad and then New York Dock Railway, which had superseded the operations of the Bush Terminal Railroad, when they too went out of business.With the 65th Street property taken over by the Penn Central Railroad; and in their efforts to reduce unnecessary duplication of effort or discharge of unprofitable operations (throughout the operations of the former Pennsylvania, New York Central or New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad operations), the 65th Street Yard was closed and whatever minimal rail traffic rerouted to the north.
With the subsequent financial failure of Penn Central; Conrail was formed by the US Government to now bail out the failed Penn Central, which took place on April 1, 1976. Conrail wanted even less to do with rail-marine operations than Penn Central did. Conrail contracted with the Brooklyn Eastern District Terminal to handle any carfloating traffic between Greenville, NJ and the their terminal as well as the terminals of New York Dock located in Brooklyn.
In 1980 or 1981 (exact date inconsistent), the City of New York in cooperation with New York Dock Railway, installed a pontoon supported pony plate girder float bridge to the immediate north of the Bay Ridge Yard. This transfer bridge originally came from the West 28th Street Terminal (Manhattan) of the Erie Railroad and was installed at this location due to the reconstruction of First Avenue which isolated the 65th Street from the float bridges at Bush Terminal Yard at 51st Street.


.
It would take almost 20 years before the City actually commenced in updating the yard as mentioned. A brand new pair of cable suspended electrically operated float bridges were built at this location in 1999, ironically on the site of the now demolished four transfer bridges "Abie" and "Benny".
The construction of these two new transfer bridges was contracted out and financed by the New York City Economic Development Corporation. While the NYCEDC is commonly (but erroneously) thought of as a city government entity, it in actually is a not-for-profit organization that operates through annual contracts with the City of New York; and its purpose is to rehabilitate and reconstruct deteriorating city properties, and then thereby either selling them or leasing them as necessity and location warrant, to local businesses and industries to keep the location economically viable.
The design of these new transfer bridges appears to follow the practice of Baltimore, MD; types as well West Coast designs of transfer bridge. These transfer bridges also had the distinction of being the first new transfer bridges constructed in New York Harbor in close to a century. A distinction that was forfeited with the construction and activation of a new overhead supported hydraulically operated transfer bridge in Greenville, NJ commencing in 2017.

65th Street Yard Float Bridges - July 2006
Looking west.
P. M. Goldstein photo
added 02 May 2024
.
.
On June 4, 1999, Mayor Rudy Giuliani announced that New York City reached an agreement to open and operate the 65th Street Yard with the New York and Atlantic Railway, but the freight traffic never materialized for the New York & Atlantic Railway to use the transfer bridges. So, after their completion; these transfer bridges would remain unused.
That is until 2012, when the successor to the New York Cross Harbor Railroad; New York New Jersey Rail would activate operations at this location. But we are getting slightly ahead of ourselves:
In November / December 2009, New York New Jersey Rail executed a carfloat test and freight car move using these new float bridges, and it was discovered that the rail on the float bridges was heavier (taller) than that of which was installed on the carfloats! This resulted in a rail height difference at the carfloat / float bridge joint. The carfloats were "hand me downs" from previous railroads, and the Greenville and Bush terminal bridges were relics. The transfer bridges built at 65th Street used modern specifications.Kindly refer to the New York New Jersey Rail for details of this reconstruction.
Since then, the 65th Street - Bay Ridge Yard has seen a renaissance! New York New Jersey Rail has added team tracks (something the original 65th Street Yard never had), and several customers now transload directly in the yard. could be assigned to this yard,
New locomotives were purchased, and a protective stockade built for storing these locomotives (and preventing vandalism). Freight traffic has steadily increased through the yard, as a result of congestion on the highways and increased fuel prices.
So, the 65th Street - Bay Ridge Yard; unlike many now demolished railroad facilities throughout New York Harbor, thrives to this day
| builder: build dates: wheel arrangement: total number built: road numbers: cylinders: driver diameter: boiler pressure: fuel: total weight: axle loading: adhedise weight: tractive effort: assignment: |
PRR Juniata Shops 1923 - 1929 4-6-0 "Ten Wheeler" 121 (31 for LIRR specifically) LIRR #21-50 24" x 28" 68" 205 psi bituminous coal 237,000 lbs 66,500 lbs 178,000 lbs 41,328 lbs switching, passenger & freight service |
tractive effort: maximum speed: length: height: assignment: |
PRR Altoona Shops; August 1926 (except #331 built June 19 C+C (to: C) 13 LIRR #324-337 62" 157,000 lbs (each unit) 700 hp 39,250 lbs electric, overhead catenary; 11,000 VAC - 25hz 25 mph 31' 6" 15' 0" yard switching |
Originally classed as BB3, but this was revised to just Class B3 when the binary units were split, and operated individually. These locomotives are similar to the PRR Class BB1 (AC prototype) and BB2 which were 650 volts DC powered for use in Pennsylvania Station and Sunnyside Yard, until they were converted to AC power.
The BB3 class operated via the 11,000 volts AC at 25 hz via overhead catenary and were used exclusively on the Bay Ridge Branch and Bay Ridge Yard which had catenary overhead wire installed in 1927. These locomotives were colloquially called "rats" by crews and railfans alike.
When the Bay Ridge Branch catenary was deenergized on December 21, 1958; the B3 locomotives were towed to the LIRR Morris Park Shops and remained there lined up along the embankment, until such time they were sold to a scrapper.

PRR Altoona Shops builders photo - 1926
LIRR #328A / 328B [Class BB3]
added 02 May 2024
| LIRR Class: built by: built: road numbers: wheel arrangement: prime mover: generator: traction motors: weight: rating S1: rating S2: tractive effort: power: assignment: |
S1: AS-6 S2: AS-10 American Locomotive Co - Schenectady, NY 1946 - 1949 B-B (both) ALCo 539 6 cylinder (S2: 539T = w/ turbo) GE GT 552-A 4x GE731 199,000 lbs 660 hp 1000 hp 49,790 lbs diesel-electric yard switching and road switching |

LIRR #444 [ALCo S2] & reacher car - LIRR 65th Street Yard; Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, NY - 1968
S. Goldstein photo
authors collection
added 02 May 2024
wheel arrancement: weight: hp rating: tractive effort: assignment: |
C-C 492,000 pounds 4,860 90,000 lbs freight line haul road locomotive |

NYNH&H Oak Point Yard, the Bronx - ca. 1965
NYNH&H
unknown photographer
added 02 May 2024
| #309 | #304 | |
| builder: | General Electric | General Electric |
| c/n: | 32553 | 32548 |
| ship date: | 11/12/1956 | 11/21/1956 |
| GE Class: | C-C-394/394-6GE752 | C-C-394/394-6GE752 |
| NH Loco Class: | EL-C | EL-C |
| weight: | 197 tons | 197 tons |
| wheel arrangement: | C-C | C-C |
| propulsion: | overhead electric catenary 11,000v AC 25 hz | overhead electric catenary 11,000v AC 25 hz |
| rating: | 3300hp | 3300hp |
| built for: | Virginian #140 [EL-C] | Virginian #135 [EL-C] |
| to: | Norfolk &
Western #240 [EL-C] New York, New Haven & Hartford #309 [EF-4] Penn Central #4609 [E33] Conrail #4609 [E33] Virginia Museum of Transportation, Roanoke, Va |
Norfolk &
Western #235 [EL-C] New York, New Haven & Hartford #304 [EF-4] Penn Central #4604 [E33] Conrail #4604 [E33] Virginia Museum of Transportation, Roanoke, Va restored and displayed to Virginian #135 |
An unusual aspect to Bay Ridge Yard operations was that the Long Island Rail Road; unlike many of the other railroads operating transfer or float bridges in New York Harbor; was that they preferred the use of a idler or float reacher car to "reach" onto the carfloat to place or retrieve a cut of cars and pull them off.
It is a popular misconception that the use of reacher cars was because "the locomotive was too heavy to go onto the carfloat", but this is an erroneous assumption. Most of the other Class 1's in New York Harbor had no such reservations, with plenty of images to prove this assumption wrong; and frankly by the 1950's and 1960's, the ALCo's assigned to switching at Bay Ridge Yard weighed almost the same (115 tons) than a lot of the freight loads being transported in modern 60 foot box cars and gondolas.
Use of a reacher car appears to be to alleviate stress on the toggle pins that joined the transfer bridge and carfloat together; and as it should be kept in mind that the transfer bridges were built in 1916, when freight cars were made of wood and substantially lighter that later cars made of steel.
Even this hypothesis is questionable, as PRR operations at the Greenville Transfer Bridges (and other railroads at other locations) did not utilize idler / reacher cars in daily operations and those transfer bridges were just as old. I address this on another page of my website: A Popular Misconception
It is more than likely that reacher cars were used primarily in the electrified yards of here at Bay Ridge and Oak Island, as the electric catenary ended at the outshore edge of the transfer bridge, leaving an unpowered space of about one car length between the locomotive (which could not venture any further or out onto the carfloat without power) and where the end of the freight cars were on the carfloat.
Using a reacher car "bridged" that unpowered gap, and allowed the train crew to couple onto the cars with the locomotive the length of the reacher car away and remaining under power:
.
However, we still see usage of the reacher cars after the
catenary was deenergized in 1958 and switching was done by self
contained diesel-electric locomotives; as well as on non-catenary
railroads.

Note the recliner!
added 02 May 2024
Long Island Rail Road
Tugboats
|
date built |
builder / |
official |
length |
beam |
draft |
|
gross |
net |
former owner |
|
|
||||||||||||
| "Long Island" (first) | |||||||||||||||||||||||
| 1885 | Brooklyn, NY | 140784 | 103 | 29 | 8.4 | 163 | 106 | steam | wood hull | ||||||||||||||
|
.
. |
|||||||||||||||||||||||
| "Gladiator" | |||||||||||||||||||||||
| 1888 | Baltimore Steamboat & Dry Dock Co Boston, MA |
86020 | 110.6 | 22 | 11.5 | 55 NHP | 167 | 83 | steam, compound 20" + 36" x 26" |
||||||||||||||
|
.
. |
|||||||||||||||||||||||
| "Wrestler" | |||||||||||||||||||||||
| 1889 | American Car & Foundry?? Boston, MA |
30869 | 115 | 25.5 | 13.2 | 500 | 198 | 99 | steam, compound 17" + 36" x 26" |
2 boilers, water tube, 150 psi | |||||||||||||
|
.
. |
|||||||||||||||||||||||
| "Montauk" | |||||||||||||||||||||||
| 1895 | Wilmington, DE | 96.6 | 22 | 10 | 500 | 121 | 51 | steam, compound 17" + 36 "x 26" |
wood hull 2 boilers, water tube, 150 psi |
||||||||||||||
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
| "Syosset" | |||||||||||||||||||||||
| 1899 | Neafie & Levy Philadelphia, PA |
116895 | 102.6 | 23 | 10.5 | 700 71 NHP |
20" + 40" x 28" |
steel hull 2 boilers, water tube, 150 psi |
|||||||||||||||
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
"Patchogue" |
|||||||||||||||||||||||
| 1907 (1907 - 1959) |
Camden, NJ | 204384 | 90.5 | 25.4 | 11.6 | 800 | 190 | 129 | steam, compound 18" + 38"x28" |
steel hull 2 boilers, water tube, 150 psi |
|||||||||||||
|
.
. |
|||||||||||||||||||||||
| "Cutchogue" | |||||||||||||||||||||||
| 1918 | Wilmington, DE | 217845 | 98.5 | 25.1 | 15.1 | 600 | 184 | 105 | steam, compound 17" + 36 "x 26" |
wood hull boilers, water tube, 150 psi |
|||||||||||||
|
.
. |
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
"Quogue"
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
| 1919 | Wilmington, DE | 219419 | 92.5 | 25.1 | 15.7 | 600 | 184 | 105 | steam, compound 17" + 36 "x 26" |
wood hull boilers, water tube, 150 psi |
|||||||||||||
|
.
. |
|||||||||||||||||||||||
| "Talisman" | |||||||||||||||||||||||
| 1920 <1926> |
Valley Iron Works Camden, NJ |
22000 | 94.2 | 24.5 | 13 | 450 61 NHP |
188 | 127 | steam, compound 18" + 36 "x 26" |
steel hull 2 boilers, water tube, 200 psi |
|||||||||||||
|
.
. |
|||||||||||||||||||||||
| "Meitowax" | |||||||||||||||||||||||
| 1926 - 1963 | Staten Island Shipbuilding Staten Island, NY or Jakobson Ship Yard ? Oyster Bay, NY |
226219 | 96' | 26 | 13.3 | 800 (680?) |
199 | 135 | diesel - electric (2) Ingersoll Rand 6 cylinder 4 cycle single action vertical, 13" bore x 19" stroke Price Rathbone solid fuel inj, water cooled |
steel hull sold 1963 to L. W. Bicaise, South Carolina' sunk in transit 10/22/1963 with all four hands |
|||||||||||||
|
.
. |
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
"Number 1" |
|||||||||||||||||||||||
| 1930 - 1963 | Pusey & Jones Wilmington, DE |
229322 / 402 | 104.6' | 24' | 13.6' | 750 (550?) |
186 | 129 | diesel-electric (2) Winton 6-121 |
steel screw steel hull renamed "Long Island" unknown date Sold 1965 to Port Everglades Towing, of Ft. Lauderdale, FL; renamed "Battler", later renamed "Sandra St Philip" Repowered, then completely rebuilt; in service until early 1990's. Final disposition unknown |
|||||||||||||
| . |
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
.
. |
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
"Garden City" |
|||||||||||||||||||||||
| 1941-1963 | Pusey & Jones Wilmington, DE |
240341 | 101.2 | 25.2 | 13 | 800 | 218 | 148 | steam, uniflow 22" + 22 " x 24" |
steel hull 1 boiler, water tube, 280 psi sold to McAllister Towing, became the "Wm. H. McAllister" scrapped 2003, in VA. |
|||||||||||||
.
.



.
New York New Haven & Hartford RR
Tugboats
|
date built |
builder / |
official number/ |
length |
beam |
draft |
|
gross |
net |
former owner |
|
|
|
"Transfer 2" |
|||||||||||
| 1880 | Philadephia, PA | 145218 | 92.3 | 21 | 8.8 | 350 | 101 | 50 | steam | crew: 11 | |
|
.
. |
|||||||||||
|
"Transfer 3" |
|||||||||||
| 1880 | Philadephia, PA | 145426 | 92.7 | 22 | 10 | 500 | 130 | 65 | steam | crew: 11 | |
|
.
. |
|||||||||||
|
"Transfer 5" |
|||||||||||
| 1888 | Wilmington, DE | 145475 | 91 | 20 | 9.5 | 600 | 142 | 71 | steam | crew: 13 | |
|
.
. |
|||||||||||
|
"Transfer 6" |
|||||||||||
| 1888 | Wilmington, DE | 145476 | 91 | 20 | 9.5 | 600 | 142 | 71 | steam | crew: 13 | |
|
.
. |
|||||||||||
|
"Transfer 7" |
|||||||||||
| 1891 | Elizabeth, NJ | 145581 | 90.1 | 22.2 | 10.5 | 600 | 129 | 64 | steam | crew: 13 | |
|
.
. |
|||||||||||
|
"Transfer 8" |
|||||||||||
| 1891 | Elizabeth, NJ | 145585 | 90.1 | 22.2 | 10.5 | 600 | 131 | 65 | steam | iron hull, crew: 13 | |
|
.
. |
|||||||||||
|
"Transfer 9" |
|||||||||||
| 1891 | Elizabeth, NJ | 145587 | 101.7 | 29 | 10.9 | 600 | 196 | 98 | steam | crew: 13 | |
|
.
. |
|||||||||||
|
"Transfer 10" |
|||||||||||
| 1889 | Wilmington, DE | 130444 | 114 | 23.6 | 11.6 | 600 | 217 | 108 | steam | crew: 13 | |
|
.
. |
|||||||||||
|
"Transfer 11" |
|||||||||||
| 1898 | Wilmington, DE | 145764 | 110 | 25 | 14 | 750 | 248 | 109 | steam | crew: 13; oil fired | |
|
.
. |
|||||||||||
|
"Transfer 12" |
|||||||||||
| 1898 | Wilmington, DE | 145770 | 110 | 25 | 14 | 750 | 249 | 110 | steam | crew: 13 | |
|
.
. |
|||||||||||
|
"Transfer 14" |
|||||||||||
| 1900 | Bath, ME | 145839 | 119.9 | 26.1 | 15.8 | 1500 | 322 | 189 | steam | crew: 13 | |
|
.
. |
|||||||||||
|
"Transfer 15" |
|||||||||||
| 1900 | Bath, ME | 145827 | 119.9 | 26.1 | 15.8 | 1500 | 322 | 189 | steam | crew: 16 | |
|
.
. |
|||||||||||
|
"Transfer 16" |
|||||||||||
| 1904 | Philadelphia, PA | 200761 | 112 | 26.2 | 14 | 1000 | 268 | 182 | steam | crew: 13; oil fired | |
|
.
. |
|||||||||||
|
"Transfer 17" |
|||||||||||
| 1904 | Philadelphia, PA | 200299 | 112 | 26.2 | 14 | 1000 | 268 | 182 | steam | crew: 13 | |
|
.
. |
|||||||||||
|
"Transfer 18" |
|||||||||||
| 1904 | Philadelphia, PA | 200844 | 112 | 26.2 | 14 | 1000 | 268 | 182 | steam | crew: 7; oil fired | |
|
.
. |
|||||||||||
|
"Transfer 19" |
|||||||||||
| 1905 | Philadelphia, PA | 202631 | 112 | 26.2 | 14 | 1000 | 270 | 183 | steam | crew: 5 oil fired |
|
|
.
. |
|||||||||||
|
"Transfer 20" |
|||||||||||
| 1905 | Philadelphia, PA | 202634 | 112 | 26.2 | 14 | 1000 | 270 | 183 | steam | crew: 5 | |
|
.
. |
|||||||||||
|
"Transfer 21" |
|||||||||||
| 1908 | Quincy, MA | 204859 | 110.9 | 27.9 | 13.5 | 1000 | 267 | 155 | steam | oil fired | |
|
.
. |
|||||||||||
|
"Cordelia" / "Transfer 23" |
|||||||||||
| 1952 | Jakobson Shipyard Oyster Bay, NY |
266145 / 344 | 106' | 27' | 12' | 1350 | 262 | 178 | Cleveland 16-278A diesel-electric |
renamed "Transfer 23" transferred 1969 to Penn Central sold to 1972 to Brooklyn Eastern District Terminal renamed "Petro Arrow" renamed 1978 "Williamsburgh" renamed 1979 the "Brooklyn III" (had a canvas canopy over boat deck) not to be confused with New York Dock "Brooklyn III" sold 1983 to New York Cross Harbor main engine failure in the early 1990s [4] scrapped 1996 |
|
|
.
. |
|||||||||||
| "Bumble Bee" / "Transfer 24" | |||||||||||
| 1952 | Jakobson Shipyard Oyster Bay, NY |
265688 / 345 | 106' | 27' | 12' | 1350 | 262 | 178 | Cleveland 16-278A diesel-electric |
renamed "Transfer 24" transferred 1969 to Penn Central sold 1972 to Brooklyn Eastern District Terminal renamed "Petro Flame" renamed 1978? "Greenpoint" renamed 1979 "New Jersey" sold 1983 to New York Cross Harbor, renamed 1985 "Cross Harbor I" out of service late 1980s due to main generator failure sold 1998 to Eastern Towboat in Boston, MA. sold 2007 to Yacht Club in Melville, RI, partially sunk |
|
|
date built |
builder / location |
official number/ |
length | beam | draft | hp | gross tonnage |
net tonnage |
former owner "vessel name" |
power | notes |
It should be noted that the NYNH&H Railroad chartered several tugboats owned by Dalzell Towing.
For specifications on these vessels, please refer to Diesel Railroad
Tugboats, Volume 1 - East Coast; by Paul F. Strubeck.


.

.
.

1st Mortgage 2 7/8% Series B
Cancelled 3/10/1980
authors colection
added 13 June 2024
.
Like what you see? Suggestions?
Comments?